As you may be aware, there has been a presumptive positive case of the novel coronavirus (named 2019- nCoV) reported in the Vancouver region as of today, Tuesday January 28, 2020. The virus was first identified in Wuhan, China.
Brighton College is closely monitoring reports of the infection and following the direction of the Fraser Health Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. Brighton College has communicated with all students who may have traveled to China for Lunar New Year, and to the best of our knowledge, no Brighton College students have traveled to China during that time period.
The following preventative measures are advised by Health Authorities:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, for a minimum of 20 seconds. Washing hands thoroughly, with soap for the minimum 20 seconds is a key preventative measure against cold and flu viruses. Please remember to always wash your hands after being in public places, touching high traffic door handles, using the washroom, etc. Hand sanitizer gel is available throughout the college to use in every classroom and common areas.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with your unwashed hands. These are entry points for cold and flu viruses into your body.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid going to class or work when you are sick.
- Important: If you have symptoms of a cold or flu- Go see a medical doctor if you have flu- like symptoms, which include:
- runny nose
- sore throat
- a general feeling of being unwell
Anyone who is concerned they may have been exposed to, or are experiencing symptoms of the novel coronavirus, particularly if you have travelled to areas of China where the virus is active, or have been in contact with ill people from that area, you should contact your health-care provider, local public health office or call 811.
8-1-1 is a free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line available in British Columbia. The 8-1-1 phone line is operated by HealthLink BC, which is part of the Ministry of Health. By calling 8-1-1, you can speak to a health service navigator, who can help you find health information and services; or connect you directly with a registered nurse, or health professional.
For the Vancouver Coastal Health Statement on coronavirus:
For more information on cold and flu symptoms, see https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/cold-flu-know-difference-fact-sheet.html
For more information on Coronavirus, see https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus.html
Brighton College Administration